Monday, January 16, 2012

Dreams of Joe Hill


Dr. King, "I Have a Dream," 1963
In honor of Martin Luther King Day, I am introducing "Dreams of Joe Hill" - the start of a thread of posts about a lifetime of longing to save the world and my first steps (long overdue) as a newborn activist. My story begins October 13, 2010, with an email to my family and friends:
Last weekend, I attended my first ever Kentuckians for the Commonwealth event - the Annual Membership Meeting in Jabez, KY. At the risk of sounding melodramatic – it made my life finally make sense.
I went because in third grade I learned about endangered species, and I cried. And then water conservation and demanded that my parents insulate the pipes so we wouldn’t run the water as long waiting for it to get hot. I rode my bicycle up and down the alley behind our small house in the middle of our smaller town, between the tree-lined train tracks and the cornfield with the rainbow-colored morning glories growing up the stalks. And while I pedaled, I plotted how I would save the world. I imagined myself giving grand speeches at the next school assembly after we all sang “Proud To Be An American” and then me and my classmates saving the world. But how, exactly? It was too tall an order for a third grader, I felt too overwhelmed by the immensity of the task to save the planet and the people who called it home, and so I threw away the diary entries with evidence of my delusions of gradeur, hung my head in shame, and gave up. Until last weekend. 
I went last weekend, not because I still dreamed of being the planet’s champion, but because I wanted to meet people in Kentucky who cared about the same issues I care about, because I felt like my bumperstickers weren't really accomplishing as much as they might, because I was tired of feeling powerless to help the people and land I care about in real and meaningful ways. What I witnessed and the people I met there shocked me. And so, I have the following to report: 
Joe Hill, 1900s activist 
There were almost 200 KFTC members at this weekend meeting and there are over 7,000 KFTC members state-wide. And they're really cool people. I'm a member too, and I suspect many of you already are as well, so really I should say: WE'RE really cool people. We come from all walks of life - all ages (babies to grannies were there!), all socioeconomic backgrounds, all different jobs, all different parts of the state (and country and world), all different religions, all ethnicities, all sexual orientations, all hair colors, all manner of life- and fashion-styles. In other words, they weren't all tree-huggers or hippies or radicals (although you know my great affection for such folks). Many of them looked like my mom and dad and grandma and grandpa. Never before have I been in a room with such a diverse group of people who were getting along - sharing their differences and accepting those of others.

What we share as Kentuckians for the Commonwealth is a love of the people around us, the communities that support us, and a desire to make the world more awesome - to live somewhere surrounded by people and places who accept and support us and help us continue to be healthy and happy throughout our lives.
(c) Kentuckians for the Commonwealth
And what I learned this weekend is that that's actually not as overly-idealistic, or difficult, or overwhelming, or unrealistic as it may first seem. That these inspirational KFTC members are able to sustain their seemingly super-human energy and awareness and actions and vision for a healthier, more sustainable, more just Kentucky and world because they're not acting alone. Because they have support. That we have been and still are and can continue to be incredibly effective in creating positive changes for social, economic, and environmental justice. And we don't even have to chain ourselves to buildings, or sit down in front of the White House and get arrested, or even carry a picket sign. We don't have to get overwhelmed or burnt-out. All we have to do is care and take small actions. Because there are 7,000 of us taking small, medium, and big actions - and the cumulative results or our combined efforts make us super-powers as long as we are willing to make any effort at all....
And so it continued, suggesting actions to take, legislation to support, elected officials to contact.


And so I continue - we continue - still today. Will you join me? This is my story, seeking your story, believing our story will save the world.


Sing it, Joan. Bring it, Joe Hill.






See the following post for quotes that give me hope: Ripples, Starfish, and Hope

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I am all for taking action large or small. We can stand together and make a change!

    ReplyDelete